- 8 free-range eggs
- 1 T canola oil
- chilli oil, for serving
- For the rice:
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 T fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 t fresh turmeric, finely grated
- 35 g red curry paste
- 200 g basmati rice
- 1¼ cups vegetable stock
- 1 T butter
- salt, to taste
1. To make the rice, heat the olive oil in a large pan, then add the spring onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric and curry paste and cook for 5 minutes, then add the rice and stock. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. Add the butter and season. Cover and leave over a low heat.
2. Beat 2 eggs together – this will be a portion for one person. Heat the canola oil in a medium pan until very hot, then pour in the beaten egg and swirl the egg mixture in the centre of the pan using 2 chopsticks until a tornado pattern forms – it helps to swirl the pan in the opposite direction. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
3. Serve the hot egg on top of the rice, seasoned with chilli oil.
Photography: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom