- 2 kg free-range leg of lamb
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 litres beef stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 3 T butter
- 2 T Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- For the celery salsa, mix:
- 1 bunch celery leaves, chopped
- 3 T capers, drained
- 2 T green peppercorns, drained
- Lemon juice, a squeeze
Preheat the oven to 150°C. Rub the lamb with the olive oil and sear in a hot pan.
Place the lamb in a casserole dish and cover with the stock. Bake, covered, for 5 hours. Season to taste.
To serve, toss the potatoes in the butter and parsley. Serve with the celery salsa.
Cook's note: Browning the meat caramelises its surface and adds rich flavour to the finished dish.