“This sauce packs a real punch. The recipe makes a lot, so you could freeze half for another time. It’s also delicious folded through a risotto just before serving.” – Hannah Lewry
- 250 g Woolworths orecchiette pasta
- 50 g butter
- 1 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 30 g spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1x500 g bag Woolworths frozen petit-pois
- salt, to taste
- 80 g baby spinach
- 2 T mascarpone
- Parmesan, grated, for serving
1. Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
2. Heat the butter and 1 T olive oil in a large pan. Add the spring onions and garlic and sauté until soft.
3. Add the frozen peas, salt, spinach and half the reserved pasta water. Simmer over a medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the peas are soft and spinach wilted.
4. Remove from the heat and blend with a few blocks of ice while hot – this will keep the sauce bright. If you like, set aside half the sauce to use another time.
5. Place the sauce into a pan and add a little more pasta water to loosen. Stir in the mascarpone, then fold through the cooked pasta and serve topped with grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen