- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 T black sesame seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 T olive oil
- 500 g frozen peas, blanched
- 30 g mint
- 2 free-range eggs
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g feta
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pickled turnips, for serving
- Woolworths pickled red onion, for serving
- Plain yoghurt, for serving
- Pita breads, heated, for serving
Preheat the oven to 175°C. Soften the onions, chillies, cumin and sesame seeds in the olive oil. Allow to cool.
Spoon the onion mixture into a food processor, then add the peas, mint, eggs, breadcrumbs and feta. Blitz to create a coarse paste. Season to taste, then allow the mixture to rest for 20 minutes.
Spread evenly into two 23 x 10 cm baking trays or loaf tins lined with baking paper. Bake for 35 minutes, or until set. Serve with the pickled turnips, onions, yoghurt and warm pita breads.
Cook's note: You can’t go wrong with a Middle Eastern falafel-inspired bake made with peas, refreshing mint and chilli for a bit of bite.