“I’ve started swapping Woolies’ red sorghum for my usual barley or couscous in salads – I find its chewy texture very satisfying.”
- 300 g red sorghum
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 150 g Woolworths baby Rosa tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 T Woolworths preserved lemon, chopped
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 T dill, finely chopped
- 2 T mint, chopped
- 4 T Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 3 T coriander, finely chopped
- 100 g Woolworths sheep’s-milk feta, thinly sliced or broken into small chunks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 roasted red peppers, halved
1. Cook the sorghum according to package instructions. Drain and cool.
2. Place the onion in a bowl. Heat the vinegar and pour over the onion. Allow to cool so it pickles slightly.
3. Mix all the remaining ingredients except the cheese, which you can add when ready to serve.
Cook's note: The tabbouleh is substantial enough to serve on its own, but also works well with braaied steaks or lightly smoked snoek.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Nicola Naude and Marizen Smit